Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What affects the butterfly?

I’m a tad afraid of sounding like an overly-dramatic emo teenager or like too much of a whimsical poet, but I have decided, nevertheless, to share this experience and resultant musing.

Yesterday, I went with one of the new loan officers to her contact meeting. This is when she talks with the potential associates and presents Esperanza’s mission and services. A few women were running (walking?) late and so we were simply hanging around outside the school where we would hold the introduction meeting.

While we were chatting and baking in the sun (grapes become raisins, and plums become prunes, what do people become?), I spotted two butterflies flitting around in the tall brush. First of all, the butterflies here are huge. My friend Nate noted that all the insects here are either bigger or stranger or both and these butterflies were no exception to this rule. Interestingly enough, there are not different words to distinguish between butterflies and moths (and gay men)—all are mariposas.

While I was waiting, I observed the standard butterfly dance: they flutter around, sometimes drawing close to one another but also flying solo. I had a strange nerdy/sentimental moment as I watched these two butterflies. Probabilistically speaking, it is quite possible that a butterfly could never meet another butterfly—let alone one of its same type. Furthermore, except for mating to propagate the clan, it doesn’t seem to me that one butterfly needs another…a butterfly can drink nectar and fly from flower to flower unaccompanied. There may be some added safety or convenience in traveling and migrating in a pack, but essentially one butterfly does not need another. And yet, more often than not, when I spot one butterfly I usually spot at least one other. Though they do not need each other, they flock together. I’ll try not to over anthropomorphize and get too corny (and I’d appreciate it if my more naturey friends will cut me some slack), but it’s a theme that stuck out to me because its becoming increasingly clear to me how people need (or at least I need) other people in more than purely utilitarian ways, though those are nice too :)

I’ve decided not to try to fight this by trying to be braver or more independent or calloused. It’s not a limitation or a weakness, it’s a reality from which I can build up myself and others. I’ve decided to and am eagerly embracing this fact.

Looking forward to future embraces,
Anne

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE forgive the corniness

1 comment:

  1. Dear Anne,
    There is nothing weak about this entry. Embracing the fact that we truly need other people, or are a bit better when other people come around and we can count on a support system that makes us stronger, is actually the opposite (at least for me). For years I boasted about my love for solitude, but I need far less time alone than I needed 10 years ago. When I am in the company of someone that nurtures me, teaches me, or merely makes me laugh, I can't get enough! (OK, most of the time). So no, because we are different, and perfectly imperfect, togetherness actually benefits us, does not makes us weaker.
    I think your words are very wise. Nothing emo about them either.
    Peace,
    Analin :)

    ReplyDelete