Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Growing up is an odd thing

I've never been much of a reader of junk books. Garbage like Babysitters' Club, Twilight, and Gossip Girl have never held my attention nor been of much interest to me. Rather, my zone-out-over-Christmas-or-summer-break books have always fallen in the Amy Tan/Secret Life of Bees category. They're easy reads yet they have more than one layer to sift through and I don't feel my brain rotting away while I flip through the pages.

One such book, which I'd argue is of a slightly lower caliber than Ms. Tan's books, is Love Walked in by Marisa De Los Santos (a Delawart). This book is the prequel to the book Belong to Me, which I read after my mom. She bought the book because the cover featured several sets of rainboots lined up in a row and we're total suckers for that kind of advertising!

Anyway, in that book the protagonist makes a comment about how French women always look put together. She specificially says that they can quickly tie a silk scarf around their neck and it falls in that perfect-you-could-never-achieve-this-flawlessly-careless-look-in-a-million-years kind of way. Well, this afternoon, while walking back from the Stanford center, I bought a silk(ish) scarf and I am going to try to achieve that look.

For those of you who don't know, this is a big step for me. Let me give you a bit of history:
For the majority of high school, I sported jeans, a T-shirt, and a sweatshirt, which apparently aren't couture or high fashion. When I went to Tahoe over Christmas break junior year of high school, my sister and best friend Jaclyn raided my closet, removed everything they dubbed "unacceptable," and then made a chart of everything I could and could not wear together a la Granimals. While I did not appreciate this blatant display of paternalism and disrespect for private property, I did appreciate the helpful/interventionist sentiment behind it. It's funny because come junior year of high school, my little sister Emma confessed that she now understood why I wore jeans, a sweatshirt, and T-shirt everyday--junior year is crazy busy and sometimes there's just not time to focus on fashion details.

Now, beginning senior year of high school and freshman year of college, I tried to start wearing scarves. No, not tiny silk scarves around my neck. I simply tried to wear normal scarves. However, while trying to wear these fashion accessories, I faced a problem. This adjustment process felt exactly like when I first started to wear a bra. That is, when I first started wearing a bra, all I could think was "oh my god, oh my god, I'm wearing a bra." And I felt that way until my older friend Lauren told me to try sleeping in it to grow accusotmed, which actually worked. So, my initial attempts at wearing a scarf were highly distracting because all I could think was "oh my god, oh my god, I'm wearing a scarf! I wonder if it's falling properly? I wonder if everybody thinks it's weird that I'm putting extra effort in today? Should I try to make the scarf perfectly symmetric or should I go for casual asymmetry?" Basically, wearing a scarf was too stressful, so I abandoned it.

Then, something miraculous happened! I went to London/Paris over spring break last year and it was cold. I brought a scarf and needed to wear it. With the help of Jaclyn and Laurel, I learned how to wrap/tie it so it looked nice but not too planned and, with a bit of practice, I became accustomed to scarving it up. All junior year, I have sported scarves left and right with hardly a second thought. Now, the scarves I've worn have primarily been for utilitiarian purposes of warmth. However, I am now feeling confident enough to try the purely-for-show scarf. We'll see how it goes--wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. You are hilarious. There are many wonderful adjectives I would use to describe you, but "effortlessly chic" is probably not one of them. No offense. I have trouble with scarves too - we'll see how I look wearing one to cover my hair for parts of this summer! We'll adjust together. Good luck!

    Also, do you want to move into my apartment next year? You can have the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have given paternalism a bad name. There is no paternalism that involves correcting a lovely daughter's "fashion" or lack thereof. Perhaps figurative, but not literal paternalism.

    Glad that you've inherited my sense of fashion AND are investing effort to grow past it,
    --dad

    ps: you NEVER need makeup. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get how you feel! I have scarf issues too. . . Now, I'm at the stage where whenever I wear one, I feel the need to point it out to my friends: "Look! I'm accessorizing!"

    -Shosh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marlene: hehe effortlessly chic. I was feeling quite chic this morning with my scarf tied around my neck. Then, I almost fell on my face when I tripped while walking to school. A bit of clumsiness keeps me tre humble.
    If it's Jocelyn's couch, I'll gladly move in!

    Dad: aww, thanks :)

    Shosh: You're exclamations of "I'm accessorizing" are nothing new--I remember them from high school :P

    ReplyDelete